sale conversion rate
engagement in the test area
Carefree Dental provides an alternative to traditional dental insurance. Customers pay a flat rate every month for a dental discount card that works in one of the largest networks of providers nationwide.
Our priority was to optimize the Carefree Dental homepage, as it was the main entry point for traffic to the site.
We established multiple CTAs and links to move users through the site, but they weren’t all performing equally. Our homepage billboard featured a main CTA that read "Sign Up Now!", with a secondary link below that read "Or find a provider near you."
We found that more users were clicking the “Find a Provider” link. Users were consciously surveying the section and deciding that finding a provider was a better option than signing up for an account at that time.
Though the main goal of the homepage optimizations was to drive signups, our stats showed that many visitors weren't ready to make that commitment in the first reveal. Users were instead looking for education and assurances first.
Using Google Analytics, we saw that traffic from the homepage to the Signup page and the Find a Provider page weren't performing as well as we wanted.
46.7% of user traffic that lead to the Signup page dropped off before taking any other action. For the Find a Provider page, traffic was dropping off at 42%.
However, for another one of our main navigation links — the How it Works page — only 20.9% of users were dropping off.
Given these numbers, we decided to run a simple test: replace "Sign Up Now!" with "Learn How it Works!" and point the billboard CTA to the How it Works page.
This simple CTA change led to more than double the sales over the course of the test. The original CTA had a conversion rate of 0.60%, while the new version had a conversion rate of 1.26% — an 109.90% increase.
Though the main goal of the homepage optimization was to increase sales, we also kept an eye on smaller micro-conversions.
With our initial CTA test, it might be easy to assume we simply re-disbursed our clicks: that by switching the CTA we simply moved clicks from one link to the other. When we look at the data, however, we saw that we increased clicks overall.
Over the course of the test (one week) our original button and link had 430 combined clicks — 143 on the button, and 287 on the link. Our new version saw 612 combined clicks — 366 on the button, and 246 on the link.
Each of these clicks represents a visitor moving further down the sales funnel from the homepage. It's hard to sell to and learn from visitors who don't do anything on your site, so they engage and they more pages they view, the more you can learn and optimize.
Grab your phone or keyboard and reach out to usLet's Talk